Saturday, March 4, 2017

March 4th

On the local scene ...



Tommy James and the Shondells hold on to the top spot on both of our local charts this week ... but I remember a heated battle between "I Think We're Alone Now" and The Turtles' "Happy Together" ... seems like they kept bumping each other out of the #1 spot ... we may see more evidence of this in the weeks to come.



WCFL's "Think Green" campaign is still fresh in my mind 50 years later!  (You had to answer your phone this way to win the prize money.) 

Meanwhile, WLS is pushing their brand new "Personality Magazine", which has become a real collectors' item.  (I've gone thru several copies over the years.)  

Britain's New Musical Express reports that The Monkees will perform three concerts there in July.  In the same issue, Davy Jones tells this story to reporter Keith Altham: 

"A reporter came up to me in the U.S. and asked what I thought about John Lennon's 'Jesus' quote, when he said he thought The Beatles were more popular.  I said that there was some talk about us being more popular than The Beatles at the moment, so where does that put US!?!?  I can imagine this guy going away now and writing, 'Davy Jones says he's God.'"