Monday, August 22, 2016

A Monday Morning Quickie

Hi Kent,   
Just returned from Vegas a few days ago where I caught Olivia Newton-John at the Flamingo -- really EXCELLENT show -- I can see why she has sold 100 million albums. 
Just reading your Billy J. Kramer interview -- absolutely STELLAR!   
It was like you were the pitcher at an MLB Home Run Derby -- you were throwing perfect pitches and Billy was hitting them out of the park! 
A truly CAPTIVATING interview -- absolutely loved your questions and especially this one:  
>>>kk:  I'm always curious … when it's going on, you're kind "in the moment" and you're kinda just livin' the life and that's the life at that moment in time … in hindsight I'm sure you look back with a lot more appreciation … but did you really have any idea just how huge the scope was when all of this was going on? 
>>>BJK:  No, I didn't … no I didn't.  The funny thing is, you know, Liberty DeVito plays drums for me now and he says "We missed it, Billy", and I said "What are you talking about?" and he said, "We never looked at us."  You know what I mean?  We were part of it … we were playing … and to me, I was just like "What's going on?" 
This time the interviewer and the interviewee were a perfect match -- GREAT questions, GENUINELY DESCRIPTIVE answers -- a truly SYNERGISTIC, ENTERTAINING interview! 
Interesting to hear that Liberty DeVito is playing drums for Billy J. Kramer now.  Heard Mr. DeVito, who also played for Billy Joel, in an interview one time say he patterned his drumming after Dino Danelli of The Rascals -- and, as you know, both of these drummers are Par Excellence! 
Speaking of legendary drummers, thought you would enjoy this interview with Wrecking Crew drummer, Hal Blaine: https://youtu.be/5VtBYid6PI8  
Thank-you,  
Tim Kiley  
P.S.  You'd love Santa Fe and the surrounding area -- if you get a chance, go to a place called Tortilla Flats on Cerrillos Road for supper and order the Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili (be sure and ask for the Posole instead of the Calabacita Squash for one of your side-dishes).  By the time you finish the complimentary Chips and Salsa, The Enchilada Dinner, and the Sopapillas with Honey that also come with the meal, you may need a fork-lift to get you to the car!  
Tim  
Thanks for your very kind words, Tim ... I passed them along to Billy as well.  
Maybe someday we can do a Forgotten Hits Road Trip to Santa Fe ... I would definitely love to see it!  (kk) 

Kent ...  
Flashback ...  
Remember Tommy Roe and California Chrome?  
California Chrome wins $1 million Pacific Classic | The Sacramento Bee  
Frank B.  
http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article96964982.html  
I sure do ... I passed your email along to Tommy ... although I'm sure he already knew!  (kk)



Speaking of Tommy Roe ...

Billy J and I had some great times touring together in England. He's one of the good guys ... made some wonderful records.
Tommy   
 
>>>I think when John Lennon made his "Bigger than Jesus" comment he wasn't so much condemning religion or Christianity as he was expressing dismay and personal amusement at the way the general public idolizes mortal celebrities -- as if they have some sort of divine or metaphysical nature about them.  (Tal Hartsfeld)  
>>>This is absolutely the case.  It was more a jab at society for putting its faith in false, fly-by-night heroes ... and not a jab at Christianity or religion at all.  But it was taken completely out of context and turned into "bragging rights" about how popular The Beatles were at the time ... which was nowhere even remotely near the intent.  (kk)  
​You're wrong about Lennon's intent with his 'bigger than Jesus' remark.  You have to realist that in the UK religion is very much a minority interest.  Less than 4 million out of 66 million go to church regularly, and it's a fact that The Beatles were, and still are, bigger than Jesus over here.  Lennon wasn't trying to be insulting, just stating the truth in the UK!   And yes, I was there at the time and remember seeing them live in '63, it was crazy!  
George Van Win   

>>>Rock was a completely new musical form," Mick Jagger explained in a 1995 Rolling Stone interview. "It hadn't been around for ten years when we started doing it . . ." 
That's a pretty startling statement coming from the leader of a band formed in 1962.  So let's see. Were there rockin' records ten years earlier or more?   I can think of quite a few -- like these:  
Rock This Joint - Bill Haley (1952) [Note the guitar solo at :38, later incorporated into "Rock Around The Clock"]  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIdXrp6m-c 
Move it On Over - Hank Williams, Sr. (1947)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lza3NVH6Ig 
Good Rockin' Tonight - Wynonie Harris (1948)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7IFrGZMzYU 
That's All Right, Mama - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (1946)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHQUvCkV20 
Chicken Shack Boogie - Amos Milburn (1948)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GvfIx_-Xm4 
Lawdy Miss Clawdy - Lloyd Price  (1952)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYO263wui1w   
Rockin' With Red - Piano Red (1950)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqSN2-gZFik 
Oklahoma Hills - Jack Guthrie (1945)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sVBVOmx6Rk   
So Round, So Firm, So Fully Packed - Merle Travis (1947)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfPkGcVi8Mk
Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette - Tex Williams (1947)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65_-vNtWLLs
Shotgun Boogie - Tennessee Ernie Ford (1951)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IGhyPB0NAw   
Saturday Night Fish Fry - Louis Jordan & his Tymphany Five (1949)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI0spicgGKU
Sixty Minute Man - The Dominoes (1951)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQuNY3XFI0   
Gary Theroux   
"The History of Rock 'n' Roll"

Kent,
First, I was not familiar and not heard of the suggestion by Carl from the group the Primitive Radio Gods with songs that could have been added to your money list. 
I used to watch the Red Skelton show but don't really remember that he had any musical guests on. I extremely enjoyed the 9:30 clip you posted with the excerpts of musical artists and groups on his show. What a great clip. Didn't really know about the passing of Glenn Yarborough until I saw it in FH. Always did like his followup to BABY, THE RAIN MUST FALL, IT'S GONNA BE FINE. His 1961 recording of A DOLLAR DOWN with the Limeliters made our local top 40 radio station's weekly survey. 
You mentioned that there are not two many SWEET 16 opportunities for the rest of the year and SWEET 17 just doesn't cut it. When I saw the number 17, I thought of a few 17 records.
Larry
The Primitive Radio Gods track caught my ear the very first time I heard it ... and I've liked it ever since.
I think the Red Skelton collection would make an AWESOME home video collection ... but it looks like they're not even interested in pursuing that route.  Too bad ... I know I'd order a copy immediately!
I would LOVE to wrap up this year's on-going SWEET 16 Series with sixteen songs with the word "sixteen in the title" ... but I'm coming up short.  How many can YOU come up with???  (I invite the entire list to participate ... as this would be a great way to wrap things up on December 29th!)  kk   

And a final reminder from our FH Buddy Bob Lind ...   

TO MY FRIENDS & FANS,
Following up on the notice posted last week (and making good on my promise to remind you): 
Alan Haber will be airing his in-depth interview with me this Tuesday on Pure Pop Radio. 
He'll be playing songs from my new CD MAGELLAN WAS WRONG and asking me impertinent questions about my personal life. Much of this stuff has only recently been declassified under the Freedom Of Information Act. I never know when to keep my yap shut. 
Immediately after the show, he'll be airing an interview with Jamie Hoover who produced most of the songs on the album. 
Here are the particulars:
BOB LIND INTERVIEW
Airing on Pure Pop Online Radio
Tuesday August 23, 8 p.m. Eastern Time
To hear it streaming live, just save this reminder, open it on Tuesday and click on the link below.
Bob Lind